Saturday, May 21, 2005

so many books, so little time

Bloomin' Waterstones and their 3 for 2 offers. Get me every time. Went in for 2 books, came out with 8. My bad, cos I shouldn't have any other reading materials apart from my course books in the house right now.

Commotion in the Ocean Dig, Dig, Digging The two books I originally went in for - birthday presents for friend's two-year old twins, as loved and recommended by O. They come with free cd of the books and obv it would be v bad to copy the cds before giving the books so I won't.

Fleshmarket Close


The latest Ian Rankin, out in paperback at last yay. But I officially bought it as a gift for R so I will have to wait my turn to read it booo.




The Mapmaker's Wife

Another one for R. Caught my eye on the 3-for-2 table, about maps and the amazon and such, so I thought he'd like it.

(Gave him these by way of an acknowledgement and 'thank you' for how ace he is, particularly when I was freaking out a bit recently).


Boudica: Dreaming the Bull


Because it was sitting on the 3-for-2 piles looking interesting, and I think I heard a good review of it a while back.




Empress Orchid


"strong on both sexual chicanery and violent conspiracy". Oooooh.






Aberystwyth Mon Amour
EDIT (added because I forgot to include this book in original post d'oh) Not a 3-for-2 book shock. The first one in a series - I've read Last Tango in Aberystwyth, picked up on a previous 3-for-2 without realising it was the second in a series. I really hate reading a series out of order bah. But anyways Last Tango was excellently bizarre Welsh-noir detective fiction with added druids. Looking forward to reading the first one now, then onto the third.


Eye Wonder: Eye Wonderfor O. I've always loved DK, they publish the most excellent, inspiring, fascinating reference books. O loves them too. He has Eye Wonder Ocean & Eye Wonder Rainforest, and said he wanted the others in the series (Space & Dinosaurs). He loves non-fiction, he adores gathering facts and information about things. He's such a boy. Mind you, if I get through this course it will be partly thanks to O's DK books. And partly thanks to everyone who's helped make Wikipedia's science entries. The entry on ecosystem productivity is really helping me out right now.

Can you tell we've got some money at last? Actually we don't have any real money in our pockets yet, but I banked a cheque yesterday so cheques written from now on will be safe hurrah.

Sleep over went well yesterday, despite bouts of crying and wanting to go home from the various parties concerned. My sister said I'm such a Progressive Parent, letting my son sleep with his beloved under my roof.

No comments: