Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Spoke to my best friend C last night. She's been having angina-like symptoms for a while, but it's taken some time to get a proper diagnosis. After a series of test, they found she has furred up arteries. She's been given the advice you'd expect - told she has to lose weight, exercise more, eat better, stop smoking (she's a 'social' smoker yeah right) and cut down her salt (she does consume life threatening quantities of NaCl. She's the only person I've ever seen put salt on peanut butter).

So last night we were talking diets and eating habits. We have exactly the opposite eating problems. I can eat reasonably at meal times, it's the comfort-eating snack-attacks that pile on my pounds. C doesn't really snack much, instead she cannot leave the table at meal times until she is full to bursting - plus she takes the 'little of what you fancy' approach to her cooking, adding more cheese, salt, butter, cream, etc to dishes and finding it hard to go without dessert.

Anyways we both have to get serious about weight loss now. C because she already knows she has irreversible damage to her heart, now she's got to work on not making it worse and on getting healthier. Me because I hope I'm in time to make changes to avoid the worst health consequences of what I've done to my body over the years. I've made quite a lot of progress on that already, with stopping smoking and starting exercising. I need to remind myself of what I've achieved and that I have the ability to achieve more.

So, I've decided to try that WW meeting tomorrow night. Even if it does cost 5 quid and take place at the same time as aquarobics grrr.

1 comment:

Jude said...

yay remember to tell me all the details especially bitching about any skinnies