Thursday, October 14, 2004

Just because I'm cynical, doesn't mean they aren't out to get me

I read this on the BBC's website, about how 'experts say'
a tape measure could be a better guide to future health risks than bathroom scales

Interesting, I thought (mind you, on current form I'm stuffed either way (no pun intended)) and followed the linkies till I got to the National Obesity Forum's Waist Watch Action site. And being the kind of person who reads the small print, I notice the link at the bottom of the page telling me the site is "provided as a service to medicine by Roche Products Ltd". You'll never guess, it turns out that Roche make the 'anti-obesity drug' Xenical/orlistat. For some reason or other, I am deeply suspcious of drug companies' involvment in 'health promotion'.

Don't get me wrong, I am not anti-conventional medical drugs. Me and people close to me have benefited greatly from modern pharmaceuticals (anti-depressants and beta-blockers for example). I like science, and one of my best-friends-in-the-world is a research chemist. But drug companies' primary interest is in making profits, not in making my life better. I want to take health advice from impartial sources, not from those who have an interest in selling me something - whether that's big-pharma selling me drucks or nice ladies off the telly selling me 'natural' remedies (actually don't get me started on 'natural' remedies, that's a whole other rant for another day ... ). And there's little profit for anyone in me simply eating less and moving more.

Oh and I'm cross that the BBC reported failed to point out the drug company's interest. I feel another 'annoyed of manchester' email coming on ...

No comments: